Bike rental.

Need some advice on bike rental in Vietnam.
1. What is the price for a minimum cc bike, just to roam inside the city and not for long rides.
2. What documents do they ask before renting? Do we need to handover any originals?
3. Is there any security deposit involved, if yes how much it normally be?
4. Any reputed bike rentals shop in Hanoi and HMC?
5. Do we need the have international driving permit/licence/insurance to drive bike in Vietnam?

1. $8-12 usd
2. I usually rent from my hotel and they already have my passport copied so they don’t ask for anything else.
3. Not from hotel
4. Haven’t had any experience with shops.
5. I do bring my international drivers license but I’ve NEVER been asked for it when renting or riding. In Thailand and Indonesia I get stopped often and asked but never in Vietnam.

Thanks a lot Jason.
1. $8-12 usd
2. I usually rent from my hotel and they already have my passport copied so they don’t ask for anything else.
3. Not from hotel
4. Haven’t had any experience with shops.
5. I do bring my international drivers license but I’ve NEVER been asked for it when renting or riding. In Thailand and Indonesia I get stopped often and asked but never in Vietnam.

San Jose, CA
Prince,

I've rented at my cousins friend's shop in HCMC Saigon. It is dirt cheap. I have an M1 license in the States and paid license conversion in Vietnam.

You often have to leave a cash deposit or your Passport when renting. But if renting from your hotel, they have your passport, so there is an advantage renting there.

When i am in Danang, i have my go-to rental place there, where all his motorbikes are top-notch and new, and even cheaper than HCMC Saigon.

I just bought a motorbike in HCMC Saigon last night. It's fairly easy and painless in Vietnam and money goes a long way.

Riding in big cities like HCMC Saigon and Hanoi can be daunting. Just go slow and be defensive but yet aggressive when needed.

Last edited:
Prince,

I've rented at my cousins friend's shop in HCMC Saigon. It is dirt cheap. I have an M1 license in the States and paid license conversion in Vietnam.

You often have to leave a cash deposit or your Passport when renting. But if renting from your hotel, they have your passport, so there is an advantage renting there.

When i am in Danang, i have my go-to rental place there, where all his motorbikes are top-notch and new, and even cheaper than HCMC Saigon.

I just bought a motorbike in HCMC Saigon last night. It's fairly easy and painless in Vietnam and money goes a long way.

Riding in big cities like HCMC Saigon and Hanoi can be daunting. Just go slow and be defensive but yet aggressive when needed.
Hi Duc,

I will be staying in airbnb, so unlike hotels I don't know if they have bike rental facilities.

If I am renting bike outside, is it safe for me to handover the passport and roam inside the country without it? Will they guarantee to keep it safe without misplacing it 🙄. And any idea of the approximate amount they would ask us to deposit besides the passport?

Also if possible share your cousin's friend bike rental shop address in HMC.

Thanks...

San Jose, CA
Hi Duc,

I will be staying in airbnb, so unlike hotels I don't know if they have bike rental facilities.

If I am renting bike outside, is it safe for me to handover the passport and roam inside the country without it? Will they guarantee to keep it safe without misplacing it 🙄. And any idea of the approximate amount they would ask us to deposit besides the passport?

Also if possible share your cousin's friend bike rental shop address in HMC.

Thanks...
This is yet another "grey" area of Vietnam. Technically, no one is allowed to keep your passport but you or the authorities. But, if you don't hand it over as collateral, then no motorbike rental.

The only other way is to hand over $500 cash as collateral, and make sure you get a written receipt. You keep your passport. And take photos of the motorbike upon issuance, so if there is any dispute over any damage or scratches, you can negotiate and there is no misunderstanding.

PM inbox me and i will give you his contact details for rentals. There is 1 guy on here who runs his own motorbike rental shop, so maybe you can rent from him. He can inbox you for his business since he runs a legit motobike rental biz. I will let him and you deal with each other. Pointless including me. But if you want my cousin's friend's rental shop, then PM inbox me.

One other thing: There are on average 85 deaths in Vietnam related to motorbike accidents per day. And countless others who are injured daily. Grab motorbike doesn't protect you, only a car does...

Hope this helps.

ps. I purchased a motorbike because i am renting every time, and will be visiting Vietnam at least 4 times per year, and will be doing an all-country trek North to South, and i have a place to leave it at since i still have family there in SGN. It is cheaper this way and i know my motorbike and how well it is maintained. Imagine having a bike tire flat or it won't start in a typhoon and you've ventured way out of Saigon. At least with my own newer bike, i can assure tires, brakes, battery, lights, etc. are all maintained preventatively.

Last edited: