Coronavirus

I don't think travel insurance is valid due to corona.
My now cancelled flight to HCMC was booked on Expedia/Travelocity and was covered by cancellation insurance. I have already received refunds on my credit card for the Air BnB and the flight insurance I purchased. The only refund I haven't received is for the visa I purchased. From what I'm reading on this forum it sounds like now is not the time to visit HCMC has many businesses are denying service to foreigners due to corona virus. I'd stay away until the virus has run it's course. I'm not on the ground actually witnessing this, only repeating what I've been reading on this forum.

No, I was flying to Seoul, Korea first then on to HCMC. All the Korean Airlines flights to HCMC were canceled so I canceled the entire trip and plan to stay stateside until this corona virus is controlled.
My now cancelled flight to HCMC was booked on Expedia/Travelocity and was covered by cancellation insurance. I have already received refunds on my credit card for the Air BnB and the flight insurance I purchased. The only refund I haven't received is for the visa I purchased. From what I'm reading on this forum it sounds like now is not the time to visit HCMC has many businesses are denying service to foreigners due to corona virus. I'd stay away until the virus has run it's course. I'm not on the ground actually witnessing this, only repeating what I've been reading on this forum.

Just went around in District 8 (Pham Hung, Phem The Hien) and District 7 (Huyen Tan Phat) and many places are saying No to a foreigner. They will say it's closed even though it's obviously open. At one HTP hot toc, about 8 girls sat on the sofa inside waiting for customers, but I was told No, can't go in. The guy then said "See you again", and said it's just due to Corona.

I also have tried contacting Kynu girls recently with no replies the past few days. District 10 and 8.

Just went around in District 8 (Pham Hung, Phem The Hien) and District 7 (Huyen Tan Phat) and many places are saying No to a foreigner. They will say it's closed even though it's obviously open. At one HTP hot toc, about 8 girls sat on the sofa inside waiting for customers, but I was told No, can't go in. The guy then said "See you again", and said it's just due to Corona.

I also have tried contacting Kynu girls recently with no replies the past few days. District 10 and 8.
Yeah it the panic now, since the covid-19 currently spread very fast in countries outside of vietnam.

Vietnam even close their borders to many countries now.

The situation will be back to normal in 2 weeks to 1 month top if the covid-19 dont spread without control

Yes. Streets in vietnam is empty due to the scare. After the rich girl come back from London, there has been a sudden increase in cases (16 jump to 44) so ppl are scare. I do hope the cases dont increase anymore for the next few weeks to end Apr. Visiting HCMC, Hoi An and Da Nang in early May. Hope they open up some of the places by then.

According to the reports here, in the US, all cruise ships, Disneyland, Apple Stores, all professional sports, all college sports, and many schools are shutting down for a least a couple of weeks. This virus seems to be the worse for elderly people with pre existing condtions. The average age of the people who have died from the virus in the US is age 80 years. Many younger people may have had it already and didn't even know since there immune systems are strong. Italy is hit hard because the average age of their population is so old with 23% of their population over 65 years old. This is no time to panic. New cases are down in China and South Korea already. The countries that were proactive in shutting down their borders and limiting travel will see things return to normal very soon. Compared to the seasonal flu cases the COVID-19 flu is very small. In the US seasonal flu cases kill 20,000-70,000 annually. So far there have been 40 deaths due to COVID-19. You have a greater chance of being murdered in Chicago on a weekend. 40 deaths in a population of 330 million. Cover your mouth when you cough and wash your hands. By summer this will all be forgotten.

The average age of the people who have died from the virus in the US is age 80 years.
While it's true that average age of death caused by the virus is high, 80 yo average age in the US cannot be used as a gauge. 2 reasons: 1- The virus outbreak started with a cruise ship, which generally has older passengers. 2- Then the virus hit a nursing home in Seattle area, where the residents are all very old aged. I believe 16 deaths or so are from the same nursing home. Especially #2 contributes to high fatality rate in the US from the very beginning too.

Last edited:
While it's true that average age of death caused by the virus is high, 80 yo average age in the US cannot be used as a gauge. 2 reasons: 1- The virus outbreak started with a cruise ship, which generally has older passengers. 2- Then the virus hit a nursing home in Seattle area, where the residents are all very old aged. I believe 16 deaths or so are from the same nursing home. Especially #2 contributes to high fatality rate in the US from the very beginning too.

You just supported my remarks. The deaths are even more limited in scope. The cruise ship and a Seattle nursing home are the only hot spots in the US. The rest of the country may have people exposed but not dying. I'll take those odds.

All bars and massage parlours, cinemas etc in D1 shut down from 6pm today.
Yeah the main threat now is from people outside of vietnam. Cause the policies of western countries were not serious enough.

Vietnam was hit earlier but control it better cause they took it very seriously quickly and control it. They never reach more than 100 cases. Now it the second wave possibly bring by the tourists from the new countries who are impact by covid-19. So they shut down D1 where most of foreigners go play.

After the crucial 2-3 weeks, it should be better if there is not a big spread of cases of covid-19.

So life goes on but I notice less people in the streets and much less traffic jam during the day.

The situation will be back to normal in 2 weeks to 1 month top if the covid-19 dont spread without control
So far Vietnam has probably dealt with the Coronavirus the best outside of China. They were business from the get go. Good on them. I don't believe the situation will go back to normal anytime soon (unless they seal themselves off). None of these extreme measures are sustainable however.

This is just the start of covid. Id expect these numbers to rise into the millions globally in less than 2 months.

Last edited:
So far Vietnam has probably dealt with the Coronavirus the best outside of China. They were business from the get go. Good on them. I don't believe the situation will go back to normal anytime soon (unless they seal themselves off). None of these extreme measures are sustainable however.

This is just the start of covid. Id expect these numbers to rise into the millions globally in less than 2 months.
I was talking about the situation in HCMC vietnam. But on the world scale yeah it the beginning easy 2-3 months like you say.

And now they close massage/bar etc for every district too not only D1.