Staying in Vietnam Long Term

Hello,

I hold a US Passport, does anyone know what is the best way to legally stay in Vietnam for extended periods of time? Like 1-2 years or longer? I read that Vietnam does not have retirement Visas and work visas only last up to a year?

I am considering moving to Vietnam in the somewhat near future for a few years.

Thanks,
Jason

San Jose, CA
There are many English teachers and retired expats that seek refuge in lower cost-of-living developing countries that continue this method in perpetuity, renewing their visas year after year. In Vietnam, you're required to do a visa run every 3 months. This is a way the Gov't knows you're alive and well, and also to keep tabs on you.

Remember though that you can't own land in your own name as a foreigner or "visitor", from what i understand. Unless the laws have changed, which i don't think they have.

Third is Employment. Health Insurance. Retirement goals. Investment. Drivers license. Motorbike/Transportation.

Lots of hurdles and as beautiful and attractive the country and her peoples are, life can be tough.

But as like everywhere on Earth, it's easier if you have the financial means, actually, flush with deep savings or a residual passive income source, or a specialized skill or trait that the Gov't or schools need. Such as the credentials to teach English abroad.

Or business. Hint. Best to Google results and read, and ask lots of questions from expats, many of which live on limited fixed incomes. The ones that don't, well, can live anywhere.

Edited: I have a friend who routinely spends a couple weeks at a time for 3-4 times per year. Company sends him out there. This is the best way he knows but he'll be a renter all his life.

Last edited:
I was able to get a 5 year visa that requires reentry every 6 months. But I might be an exception since VN is my birth place.

Almost all the expats i know just renew their visa by going to the Moc Bai Cambodian border.

San Jose, CA
I was able to get a 5 year visa that requires reentry every 6 months. But I might be an exception since VN is my birth place.

Almost all the expats i know just renew their visa by going to the Moc Bai Cambodian border.
That is the 5-year exemption for those of Vietnamese origin or the spouses and children of those of Vietnamese origin. I qualify for that by 1 year.

I have the 5 year visa you speak of but was still told I have to leave and come back every 6 months. I guess that’s the best scenario. Spoke to someone who communicates with the Vietnam consulate today and they’re checking to see what is needed for me to get a Vietnam passport which will solve everything. Thanks for the info.