Visiting Saigon 12/31 to 1/7

If anyone wants to hit up KTVs, massages, hookah, little Tokyo, whatever let me know. I speak Vietnamese, visiting from California.

Looks like I may be there from Dec 21 to Jan 12.... may bounce out to Tokyo or Singapore for a few days sometime in that date range.

Hi, I’ve been reading many threads here lately in anticipation for my upcoming trip to Vietnam (Jan 17-31). I notice a lot of posts of people trying to group up and hang out. Is it better to be in a group if you’re going out looking for massages and fun with girls all over or will I be ok going for it by myself ? I’m staying in Ho Chi Minh for the first 3 nights then thinking of going to hue for a few nights, after that I don’t know what I should do. It would be great if you guys could recommend something ?

Hi, I’ve been reading many threads here lately in anticipation for my upcoming trip to Vietnam (Jan 17-31). I notice a lot of posts of people trying to group up and hang out. Is it better to be in a group if you’re going out looking for massages and fun with girls all over or will I be ok going for it by myself ? I’m staying in Ho Chi Minh for the first 3 nights then thinking of going to hue for a few nights, after that I don’t know what I should do. It would be great if you guys could recommend something ?
Hi Roofus,
If you are interested in only going to the NPK Street, Massage Places like Kim Huy, Boss Palace, etc. you can do it all alone.
Reading some of the reviews here will help you prepare better in terms of Pricing and what Services you can expect.
However with the same Girl, different Guys may get different experiences or Service.

But if you are interested in the KTV Stuff or Pub Crawling kind of things, it would be better and more Fun if you are in a Group as the Cost can be equally shared amongst the Group.

Just be aware of some of the common scams that occur in Saigon and you should be fine to go solo if you are interested in some discreet activities.

Last edited:
San Jose, CA
Hi Roofus,

Looks like you are from the U.S. like i am, on the West Coast/Pacific Northwest. Here has been my experience.

1st time ever i went to Vietnam was in 1999 with 2 engineering co-workers from the Silicon Valley, Bay Area. 20 years ago, there was hardly an internet, no Grab, and Vietnam was sketchy with many scams and even fake taxis and all freelancers. There were no hot tocs, no Qui, no Lush, etc. All there was as i remember was Apocalypse Now and nightclub Phuong Dong, which closed with the newer competition such as Lush, Envy, Gossip, Republic Club, and numerous others. So going with 2 professionals we looked out for each other and were able to split bottle costs which were not clear in terms of pricing at many of the scant clubs. So 20 years back then, beers were the preferred ordered drink.

In 2009, my 2nd time in Vietnam, i went back with just 1 buddy from California, and we had a blast. The global economy was reeling from the financial crisis that started in America, and our spending went far and newer clubs had begun to sprout. FDI was being poured into Vietnam as the country was expanding due to tourism and an increasing open approach by the Gov't. Vietnam's per capita income was rising and people could find employment so there were less blatant scams and shoddy pricing. It was good to have a buddy from the States, again, to not only share the bills, but to have a fellow "real tourist" experiencing and learning from how the locals and expats treat tourists (there is often 2 kinds of pricing in Vietnam, one for tourists and another for locals/natives). Having a drinking buddy and another activity planner made researching things to do easier and more fun. The only downside is that when one scored with a gal at a club, the other might be left out. It is hard to just abandon your traveling buddy for a girl.

In 2015, my 3rd time in Vietnam, i went by myself after my company at the time flew me into Shenzhen, China for a tech conference and business meetings with clients. I had an extra 4 days of leisure time after my work obligations were completed, so i purchased a roundtrip ticket to HCMC Saigon. I didn't have to wait for anyone, and had limited time, but utilized all my experiences and knowledge from past trips, and actually accomplished a lot and learned more about the city and the dramatic changes occurring, and even scoring 3 FS dates in 4 nights/3 days.

In September 2019, i flew in by myself from SFO to HKG then to BKK, then SGN, then DAD, motorbiked from Danang to Hoi An, then Hoi An to Hue, then Hue back to DAD to then fly to HAN (Hanoi). Then from HAN, i flew back to BKK and then to HKG and back to SFO. I was able to do all this because i traveled solo. And limiting my visiting time of relatives in SGN's District 1 to two brief visits and not staying with family but renting my own Airbnb's and hotels. Nobody to wait for, nobody to deal with drama and emotions, and spending how i choose to spend. My best spends/expenses were on 3 different private professional tour company guides in 2 different cities with 5-star TripAdvisor reviews. I tipped them well and it made me feel good. I also experienced amazing value since with a one-on-one experienced tour guide, they have only 1 person to give the most detailed tour to, and it is more "intimate". Once a bond is cemented early with a pro tour guide, and it is communicated that you, the customer will tip very, very well if they are to provide "local native" type knowledge and go "beyond", my experience has been the tour guide will give you his or her best. Again, because it is private and tailored for you, in the hopes for a tip. Sometimes i tip at the beginning of the tour, and tell them there is "more" if you impress me with your tour. And this is the trip where i made my freelancer contacts the most.

On my 2nd trip in October 2019, I flew in by myself again. But i had already met some girls from my previous 1st trip. And i had business to also tend to and again, limited my family time to 1 day/visit. I put to good use the gal i was dating to be my personal "private tour guide", treating her to the basics while she was with me. Food, dinners, extra activity ticket, etc. But then i had a double date but only 1 me. So i hooked up a fellow SMFer with this double date friend of the girl i was dating, and after screening him, i learned that he was a fellow tourist from Silicon Valley, working in tech construction. Turns out on that last trip, he scored on the double date, and all 4 of us went to Danang and Hoi An and Ba Na Hills together and had a blast. We spent considerable coin, but it was still cheaper than anything in the States. But we also got non-paid for FS, almost every night. But we couldn't have the variety. That was the trade-off.

On this upcoming 3rd trip for me in 2019, i have organized a group of 7 tourists here on SMF from all over the World, and another group of 4 all from the USA. We will see how a bigger group outing fares in this trip, since now there are more variables due to more people going out together. But the 1 important understanding we got out of the way is that everyone is to pay their own way, and/or we split the bill equally, so no one feels the burden or being used. Plus, real new friendships can only flourish when everyone plays fair and doesn't try and pull a fast one on others.

The only other issue left is whether all of us score or not, and if anyone feels left out or jealous. In a perfect world, everyone is happy but it is more difficult with a bigger group i surmise. In a realistic world, Men naturally are competitive. But we will have fun regardless, because everyone in the group has communicated with one another for at least nearly a month via PM inbox. And there is always the option of going solo, anytime. That sometimes works out well too (Please see my 2015 trip and September 2019 trip anecdotes above).

My advice is to go out with stable professionals that are Real Tourists. Birds of a feather, usually flock together. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've been to Vietnam 4 times and I've always been with family or a group of friends. As you probably have figured out by now based on the responses the answer to your question really depends on what it is you want to do. I like having a SMALL group of guy friends to do things with that are normally group activities. I also enjoy my own private time to do the things I don't need witnesses for lol.

Group Stuff:
Explore the city on motorbikes
Trying new restaurants
Shisha/Hookah bars
Bui Vien Street
KTV
Night clubs
Hostess bars

Alone Stuff:
Massages
Freelancers
KYNU
Tinder dates

I will be in Vietnam from Dec 21 for about 3 weeks. I've messaged a few SMF members to hang out while I am there to do the group activities I listed above. I also usually end up with a female companion at some point that I've met either online, club, bar or massage.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys for your detailed answers. Asked some friends to go when I originally planned to go but none could make it, and honestly I wanted to try it solo anyways. Met a few girls on tinder so far who say they will guide me around so hopefully that works out well. Thanks again to those who answered and to the whole forum in general it’s been a huge help.

San Jose, CA
Thanks guys for your detailed answers. Asked some friends to go when I originally planned to go but none could make it, and honestly I wanted to try it solo anyways. Met a few girls on tinder so far who say they will guide me around so hopefully that works out well. Thanks again to those who answered and to the whole forum in general it’s been a huge help.
Solo and group both work depending on the company you're with. :)

If you like yourself, and comfortable and confident in your own skin, you'll do fine. You'll learn a lot about yourself.

If you like the people in your group, and everyone is mature and self-sustaining, you have an opportunity to make a friend, and they a friend in you, and to enhance your experiences because it is a shared and mutual learning experience. It is also another human being or beings with emotions, another set of preferences, traits, etc.

Best to find people who are like you, and aren't a burden. I enjoyed both solo and the best times were a group of 4, with 2 of them being female. Or a group of 2, just me and my pro, sincere private tour guide so i can learn from his/her imparted local knowledge without the local scam session.